Monday, August 27, 2012

Bisi bela Baath


The interesting story to this recipe is that I never liked Bisibellahbaath when I was in India until I had it here. Although I wouldnt want to eat it regularly,I absolutely had times when I craved for it a lot. Then I got a variety of recipes from friends and online and finally tried it at home as a combination and thankfully I loved it and it was all done.Stories apart here is the recipe I tried:

INGREDIENTS:

Dry Roast and Grind:

Pepper corns-1 tsp
Red chillies-4 or 5 or desired
Coriander seeds- A palmful
Channa dal- 1 tsp
Methi seeds- 1/4 tsp
Gaza gaza-1/4 tsp
Elaichi,Cloves-2 ,max 3
Cinnamon stick
Jeera-1 tsp
Asafoetida- Few puffs
Flaked Coconut-1 1/2 tbsp- add coconut in the last minute and make sure not to over roast them

Cooker:

Toor dal-3/4 cup
Rice-1 cup
Tomato -1 big
Vegetables of your desire

Saute Ingredients:
Green chillies-1 sliced optional
Onions-1/2 sliced thin,pearl onions are a good option too
Curry Leaves
Jaggery-1 tsp for extra taste.
Tamarind paste-1 tbsp or more according to the tartness you like.
PROCEDURE:
 
  1. Boil the Toor dal with rice and vegetables and the saute ingredients in a pressure cooker.Add a little bit more water to allow the vegetables to cook.
  2. Once the cooker is done. Take a separate kadai, add ghee/oil with cashew nuts and then add the pressure cooker contents,some jaggery and the dry powder that is being roasted and ground and mix well. Add tamarind paste to the mixture.(I personally liked this because I am not adding tamarind water and making the rice too mushy).
  3. Garnish with a lot of cilantro. Eat HOT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment