This halwa is one of Thanjavur's popular dish. We used to buy this halwa in a store called Bombay Sweets and enjoy. Good old days.
Moong dal- 1 cup
Wheat flour- 2 cups
Sugar- 2 cups
Cashew nuts , cardamom powder, edible camphor, red color- to taste
- Dry roast the moong dal till raw smell is gone.
- Pressure cook moong dal until well cooked. If the dal is not too paste like, blend it with blender or in a mixie and make it smooth.
- Now in a pot, add a little ghee and sauté cashew nuts till golden brown and keep aside.
- In the same pot, add the wheat flour and sauté till raw smell is gone .
- Now in a separate bowl, add the moong dal, sugar , wheat flour and mix well. Return it to the pot and stir well until halwa consistency.
- Add the color powder now and mix well. Add some milk if the halwa becomes too thick. Add more ghee for consistency.
- Turn off stove and add the edible camphor and cardamom powders and the already sautéed cashew nuts and mix well.
- Enjoy. Make sure you lick your fingers/spoon well after done.
Note: I am not a big fan of food coloring and hence have not added a lot of color. If you want more red color, please feel free to add more food color.