There is one big compromise- You will have compromise on the white color of idlies. You can camouflage this by making mini idlis and dunking in sambar. I have kept the idlies separate in the picture below so you can see the actual color.
You can try dosas with the same batter too. It tastes and feels like the Ethiopian bread- "Injera". I am not sure how it will taste with chutneys but I totally recommend going for a big bowl of sambar with this dish.
FYI- Quinoa is known as "Thinai" in Tamil and is a native to South America.
So here is the recipe:
Urad dal- 3/4 cup
Organic Yellow Quinoa- 3 cups
Fennel seeds- 2/3 tsp
Salt- Per taste
- Soak quinoa over night after thorough washing.
- Soak urad dal and fennel seeds for 3-4 hours.
- Grind them separately in a mixie or blender until smooth paste
- Mix them together and add salt.
- Let ferment for 24 hours.
- Make idlies or dosas and serve with hot sambar or any chutneys of your choice.